Fundamentals of a Computer
Define Computer :
A Computer is an electronic data-processing digital machine. It receives data or instructions from the user as input, processed that data as per the given instructions and produce the desired result as output.
- electronic machine: because it uses electricity to run.
- data-processing machine: because it process the received input and convert it into the output.
- digital machine: because it can understand only binary digits i.e. '0' or '1'
Features of a Computer :
- High Speed : The working speed of a computer is much higher than humans.
- Storage capacity : It can store large amount of data for long time.
- High Accuracy : It gives an accurate result, if the input given is correct.
- Diligence : It can work continuously without any error, tiredness or boredom. Also, It can perform repeated tasks with the same speed and accuracy.
- Versatile : It can do multiple tasks with same speed and same accuracy.
Advantages of a Computer :
- High Speed : It can work faster. It can perform millions of calculations in a few seconds.
- Accuracy : It perform all jobs with 100% accuracy, if the input is correct.
- Storage Capability : It has much more storage capacity.
- Diligence : It can work continuously without any error and boredom.
- Versatility : It can do multiple tasks with same speed and same accuracy.
- Reliability : It is easier to maintain and have long lives.
- Automation : It have the ability to perform a given task automatically.
- Reduce Paper Work, cost and labour : Use of Computer during large calculations or manipulations,it reduce paper work, cost and labour.
Disadvantages of a Computer :
- No I.Q. : A computer cannot take any decision on its own as it has no I.Q.
- Dependency : It is fully dependent on humans as it works on user's instructions.
- Environment : It required dust free and suitable environment to keep the computer.
- No Feeling : Computers have no feelings or emotions. Therefore, It cannot make judgment based on feeling, taste, experience, and knowledge.
- Make lazy : It makes Human lazy.
- Make unhealthy : Continuous use of computer may effects on physical health of user like eyes, back pain etc.
Computers vs Humans :
|1.||It works faster than humans.||They Works slower than a computer.|
|2.||It can store huge amount of information.||They can store less information as compared to a computer.|
|3.||It provides an accurate results.||They may be wrong sometimes.|
|4.||It never get tired or boredom while doing same work continuously.||They may get tired or boredom.|
|5.||It can do multiple works at a time with same speed and accuracy.||They can not do multiple works at a time with same speed and accuracy.|